When deploying a multi-server Ephesoft cluster, there are a few Best Practices recommendations.
- When creating an Ephesoft cluster, it is recommended that you first install MSSQL or MySQL on a server which will not be a processing server or a UI server. This minimizes the running processes, utilized RAM, I/O reads and writes, and network requests send to this server.
- Currently we support failover databases with the MSSQL always on availability feature. We recommend you run a second server which hosts the redundant databases for ephesoft so that you minimize single points of failure in case of hardware or OS issues.
- We recommend weekly database backups. Ephesoft must be stopped for the backups to occur.
- It is recommended that you install the SharedFolders on a separate machine from any of the processing or UI servers. This is to minimize I/O read and writes, along with minimizing network requests to the server and drive hosting the SharedFolders.
- We also recommend weekly backups of the SharedFolders when the databases are backed. Ephesoft must be stopped for the backups to occur.
- If possible, RAID shares are preferred.
- Workflows and other configurations
- By default, in Ephesoft 4.0 based versions, the pickup service is set to run on only one server at a time in the cluster. This prevents two machines from requesting the same batch class. The cron schedule for this no longer has to be scheduled.
- It is recommended to set the email import service to run on a UI server to minimize CPU utilization, I/O reads and writes, and network traffic on the processing servers so that they can focus on the Ephesoft workflow.