Last Updated on
Form Data Extraction Through Nuance
The NUANCE_EXTRACTION_PLUGIN is part of the Extraction module. Earlier, you could only extract normal text data using NUANCE_EXTRACTION_PLUGIN. Extraction used to happen with the help of zone files (*.zon) provided by you (Ephesoft administrator).
In Ephesoft v126.96.36.199, NUANCE_EXTRACTION_PLUGIN has been enhanced. You can now use the NUANCE_EXTRACTION_PLUGIN to extract:
• Text data
• Checkbox data
• OCR form data
• Hand-written data
• Barcode data
You can also use the NUANCE_EXTRACTION_PLUGIN to extract data in multiple languages.
Also, in Ephesoft v188.8.131.52, Nuance has been upgraded to v 19.2.3.
Data extraction through Nuance now happens with the help of template files (*.tlz). These template files are created using Nuance Form Template Editor application installed on Windows systems.
Note: Support for zone files (*.zon) is also present.
Note: Non-cursive handwritten data is only supported.
Installing Nuance Form Template Editor
The Nuance Form Template Editor executable is packaged with Ephesoft Linux Installer and can be located at: \Application\native\Nuance.
User need to install the Nuance Form Template Editor application on a Windows system and utilize the template created through this editor while using the NUANCE_EXTRACTION_PLUGIN in a Linux environment
Activating Nuance Form Template Editor
User can perform online activation using Nuance Licensing Tool if you have internet access on your development system.
User can also perform offline activation. Following sections provide you a brief walkthrough about online and offline activation of Nuance Form Template Editor
Activating Nuance Form Template Editor Online
To activate Nuance Form Template Editor online
1. Launch Nuance Licensing Tool from the Start menu.
This initiates interaction with the Nuance Licensing Server and displays the results in the Status bar.
If communication with Nuance Licensing Server is successful, then Nuance Licensing Tool displays the licenses found in the license store. It also displays the Hardware Fingerprint (HWFP) of your development system
2. Click FILE > DOWNLOAD to download the license file and select it.
Note: If you have already downloaded the license file to this system through the Nuance Licensing Tool, select the downloaded license file
3. Click FUNCTIONS > ACTIVATE.
Upon successful activation, the relevant Activation Date is displayed. Expiration Date is displayed only if you have a temporary license
Activating Nuance Form Template Editor Offline
If system does not have internet access, license download and activation can be performed manually. To do this, use a system with internet access and proceed as follows:
1. Open a web browser and go to the following link: http://activation.scansoft.com/download/
2. Enter the serial number (s) and click DOWNLOAD LICENSES to download the license file(s).
3. Using a portable media, transfer the downloaded license file(s) to the target developer system where CSDK is installed.
4. Launch Nuance Licensing Tool from the Start menu.
5. Click FILE > LOAD and load each license file separately.
6. Click FILE > PREPARE LICENSES FOR MANUAL ACTIVATION… to zip and save your license file(s).
7. Click FUNCTIONS > REMOVE to remove each loaded license separately.
8. Using a portable media, transfer your zipped license file (s) back to the other computer with Internet access.
9. Open a web browser and go to the following link: http://activation.scansoft.com/csdkactivation
10. Follow the instructions on that web page.
11. Download/save the received zipped license file(s) to a portable media and transfer it to the target system.
12. Launch Nuance Licensing Tool on the target system again.
13.Click FILE > IMPORT to import the zipped license file(s).
Your license(s) display in the Licenses area of Nuance Licensing Tool with relevant Activation Date(s).
Enabling Proxy Settings
In case the machine is behind a proxy then exact proxy settings needs to be enabled in Nuance Licensing Tool. To enable proxy settings:
1. Launch Nuance Licensing Tool from the Start menu.
2. Click TOOLS > CONFIGURATION > PROXY to make the proxy settings.
Creating Template Files Using Nuance Form Template Editor
User can either provide zone files (for normal text data extraction) or template files created with Nuance Form Template Editor to extract data using NUANCE_EXTRACTION_PLUGIN
Configuring Nuance Extraction Plugin
NUANCE_EXTRACTION_PLUGIN governs data extraction using the template file (*.tlz) and zone file (*.zon) when using Fixed Form Extraction
Configuring Fixed Form Extraction Using Nuance Template File
User can utilize the template file (*.tlz) to extract data while using Fixed Form Extraction. Configuring Fixed Form Extraction is similar configuring the KV Extraction Rule.
To configure Fixed Form Extraction using Nuance template file:
1. From the DCMA Home page, click ADMINSITRATOR and select BATCH CLASS MANAGEMENT.
The Ephesoft Enterprise Login page displays.
2. Enter valid credentials to login.
The Batch Class Management screen displays.
3. Select the batch class from the list in the Batch Class Management screen and click OPEN.
The batch class opens with Document Types node selected by default.
4. Select the document type from the list and click OPEN.
The document type node expands displaying all the available extraction rules in the left navigation pane.
5. Select Fixed Form Extraction from the navigation pane.
The following screen displays.
6. Map the template (*.tlz) file with the relevant pages and click APPLY.
NUANCE_EXTRACTION_PLUGIN is now configured to use the mapped template file to extract data.
You can observe the extraction done by NUANCE_EXTRACTION_PLUGIN for the batch instance from the Validation screen.