During the installation of Ephesoft on RHEL and CentOS, you receive an error stating that another app is currently holding the yum lock.
Sample error message:(x’s in sample will be actual numbers in your terminal window)
Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit…
The other application is: PackageKit
Memory : xxx M RSS (xxx MB VSZ)
Started: (Date started)
State: Sleeping, pid: xxxxx
There are a few solutions. The first being what was included in the installation steps of going to System>Preferences>Software Update and set Check for Updates to Never
- Most of the time, the lock will only last a minute or two, in this instance, ignore the message and continue the Ephesoft installation
- If the yum lock is lasting a longer amount of time, the next option would be to leave the Ephesoft installation going and in a new terminal window, follow these steps:
The process may come back during install, just follow these steps again.
1. Check that the process PackageKit is in fact running by typing ‘PS -A | grep package2. Kill the PackageKit process by typing ‘sudo pkill packagekitd’
- If you are unable to kill the process, and it is lasting longer than a few minutes, try the following:
1. Stop the Ephesoft installation
2. In a new terminal, type ‘sed -i ‘s/\[Daemon\]/#\[Daemon\]/’ /etc/PackageKit/PackageKit.conf’
3. Start the Ephesoft installation and it will start where it left off last.